New Beginnings closed on 7/8/15. If you have questions or were interested in this program, please see the Unity House webpage for contact information as New Beginnings’ services were moved there.
New Beginnings, one of Cazenovia Recovery Systems’ Community Residence programs, is designed specifically for men with a substance use disorder who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Located on Buffalo’s vibrant West Side, the program serves 16 men in recovery from addiction while supporting their mental health and physical well-being. The program is licensed by the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services.
- Individualized service and treatment planning
- Community integration
- Counseling (both individual and group)
- Case management
- Trauma-informed approach to treatment
- Staff available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week
- Community-style living
- Recovery-oriented programming
- On-site self-help meetings
- Vocational services
- Coordination with employment readiness programs
- On-site mental health counseling or linkage to off-site mental health counseling
- Daily living skills training
- Positive working relationships with the criminal justice system
- Semi-private rooms
- On-site meals
- Recreation and/or activities area
- Located on primary bus route (other transportation available)
- Men 18 years of age or older
- Must be homeless (according to HUD standards)
- Must be able to live in a community setting
- Must be willing to participate in treatment
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
- Erie County Department of Mental Health
- Cazenovia Recovery Systems, Inc.
Community Residence Program Overview
Cazenovia Recovery Systems, Inc. is highly experienced in providing rehabilitation services and housing for individuals facing the challenges of alcoholism, substance use, homelessness, and poverty. Our comprehensive network operates several community residences that support recovery, seek to restore individuals’ personal dignity and self-respect, and help to reunite families.
Our community residences offer alcohol/drug-free environments designed to facilitate recovery from substance use in an atmosphere that encourages learning further recovery skills. The level of care differs from that of a traditional halfway house because of its highly structured programs and its ability to offer services to those who are employed but still need a supervised recovery setting. Individualized care includes group counseling sessions.
Co-case management is emphasized between residents and outpatient clinics for continuing care counseling. A Community Residence Program prepares participants to pursue educational, vocational, and employment opportunities as they prepare to return to independent living. Self-help skills are stressed, providing a path toward restoring balance in one’s own life, along with establishing productive relationships with family members and others.
Contact the New Beginnings Office
376 Dewitt Street
Buffalo, New York 14213
Phone: (716) 884-4952
Fax: (716) 884-3910
Interim Site Supervisor
(PDF file – 305 kb)